Netflix’s new six-part series “Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story” has once again refreshed the memories of viewers as it seeks to provide a close-up look at his horrific crimes. The “Milwaukee Cannibal” was arrested in 1991 after 13 years of terror, during which he sexually abused, murdered and dismembered 17 innocent men and boys. Here is a detailed timeline of his victims.
How Many People Did Dahmer Kill?
When America’s most notorious serial killer, Jeffrey Dahmer was arrested in 1991, the “Milwaukee Cannibal” pleaded guilty to charges of rape, cannibalism, murder and dismemberment after a typical trial. Despite his horrific crimes, he managed to escape the death penalty, as the law was abolished in Wisconsin in 1853.
Jeffrey Dahmer’s story sends chills down our spine, however, a brutal truth remains that 5 of his 17 victims could have been saved if the police authorities didn’t keep a blind eye to several calls made by his neighbor Glenda Cleveland, who played a pivotal role in this case.
Before his arrest, investigators found a total of seven skulls (painted and bleached), two human hearts, a portion of arm muscles, an entire torso, and several human organs which he preserved meticulously by using his experience as a medical specialist. Here is a detailed account of his horrific crimes:
- Steven Hicks, 19: Steven Hicks was a 19-year-old boy and Jeffrey’s first victim. In 1978, Jeffrey lured him to his house on the pretext of drinking, strangled him to death, masturbated in front of his corpse and dismembered his body.
- Steven Taomi, 25: Jeffrey killed Steven Taomi in 1987 and initially stated that he didn’t intend to kill him, but to lie next to him and explore his body.
- James Doxtator, 14: Jeffrey committed his third murder just three months after he killed Steven in 1987. He was a 14-year-old male prostitute who was lured to his house for $50. Jeffrey boiled and bleached his skull, and then pulverized it two weeks later.
- Richard Guerrero, 22: Jeffrey murdered Richard Guerrero in 1988. The two met outside a gay bar. He retained his skull, and pulverised it several months later.
- Anthony Sears, 24: Anthony Sears was killed by Jeffrey in 1989. Anthony was a mixed-race model whom Jeffrey found very attractive, and preserved his head and genitalia in acetone.
- Raymond Lamont Smith, 32: Raymond, 32 was a male prostitute who was lured by him for $50. He was killed by Jeffrey in 1990.
- Edward Smith, 27: Edward was killed by Jeffrey in 1990, the same year when Raymond was killed. During his confession, he revealed to authorities that he felt “rotten” as he couldn’t preserve Edward’s body. He exploded Smith’s skull in the process.
- Ernest Miller, 22: Ernest was killed by Jeffrey in September 1990. He repeatedly talked to his severed head and later dismembered his body.
- David C Thomas, 22: David was a 22-year-old when he was killed by Jeffrey in the same month as Ernest. He dismembered his body and did not retain any parts.
- Curtis Straughter, 17: Curtis was killed in February 1991. Jeffrey dismembered his body but retained his skull, hands, and genitals. He even photographed each stage of the process.
- Errol Lindsey, 19: Errol Lindsay was murdered by Jeffrey in April 1991. After killing him. he made a hole in his skull and poured hydrochloric acid into it.
- Anthony Hughes, 31: Tony Anthony Hughes was killed by Jeffrey in May 1991. He was deaf so Jeffrey communicated with him with handwritten notes. He photographed the process of Hughes’ dismemberment.
- Konerak Sinthasomphone: The 14-year-old Konerak was killed by Jeffrey in the same month as Anthony Hughes. In May 1991, Jeffrey’s neighbour Glenda Cleveland made several calls to the police when his niece and daughter saw this 14-year-old boy running down the street with blood on his body, but the police responded much later, and yet, nothing was done.
- Matt Turner, 20: Jeffrey killed Matt in June 1991. Jeffrey strangled and dismembered Turner in a bathtub. He placed his head and internet organs in a freezer and his torso in a 57-gallon drum.
- Oliver Lacy, 24: Jeffrey killed Oliver in July 1991. After strangling him, he did sex with Lacy’s corpse. Later, he dismembered him and preserved his head, heart and skeleton.
- Jeremiah Weinberger, 23: Jeremiah Weinberger was murdered by Jeffrey in July 1991, the same month as Lacy. He injected boiling water into his skull and put him in a coma. He then performed several sexual acts on the torso. Jeremiah died after three days.
- Joseph Bradehoft: When Dahmer lost his job on July 19, 1991, he lured 25-year-old Joseph to his apartment. He strangled him and left him dead in sheets for two days. He then decapitated his body and placed his head in a refrigerator.
During Jeffrey’s sanity trial, police recorded over 60 hours of audio wherein Jeffrey described how he ate his victims. He was heard saying: Once I fried the biceps of a man in oil, I used a meat tenderizer and ate the muscle because it was big and I wanted to try it,” Jeffrey added that it tasted like beef.
Dahmer’s End In Prison…
Many of Jeffery’s later murders involved acts such as cannibalism, necrophilia and permanent preservation of body parts, typically all or part of the skeleton. Jeffrey Dahmer was arrested in 1991 and following a disturbing trial, he was sentenced to a 16th term of imprisonment.
But again, he managed to serve only three years in prison because he was killed in 1994. It was reported that killing Dahmer could have earned an inmate “an honored place in the prison world”. Christopher Scarver, who killed Dahmer, revealed that Jeffrey would often taunt his fellow inmates, and spread ketchup in front of them to make it look like blood.
Christopher Scarver beat Jeffrey to death on November 28, 1994, at the Columbia Correctional Institution in Portage, Wisconsin. One of the relatives of his last victim revealed later in an interview that she had anticipated her slaying in prison way back. Sometimes, justice can only be found beyond the realms of law. Am I wrong?