Journalism is an interesting career choice. It is not just about sitting in the newsroom and reading the news or covering events around the world. Journalism has a touch of glamor too. Haven’t you seen various noted journalists taking interviews with your favorite celebrities?
Interviewing a celebrity of a certain status becomes the essence of any magazine, tabloid, and entertainment blog. It sells monthly subscriptions and advertising space and becomes the center of discussions on numerous social media platforms too. After all, fans love to know the inside details of the lives of their favorite celebrities.
People are highly fascinated by celebrities, and interviews given by them sell like hotcakes worldwide. If you are an entertainment media journalist and are given the golden opportunity to interview a celebrity, call yourself lucky.
But this is not it. With this great opportunity also comes a lot of nervousness, especially when you do not know how to script your interview. But fret not, for we have got you covered.
How to Interview a Celebrity?
Getting a celebrity to take some time to talk to you requires you to be in the loop. It also helps if you know the projects they are involved with, passionate about, and currently promoting. It gives you many ideas about what to ask them in their interview.
Easier said than done, we have listed a few questions you can ask while interviewing any celebrity.
Ask about their Current Project
One of the most common reasons why any celebrity likes to be interviewed by any channel or show is because they want to promote their current project to the audience. Thus, make this the beginning of your interview.
They will give you all the details about their current project and urge the audience to follow it. Alternatively, you can also ask them about the success/failure of past projects and plans for upcoming works, if any.
Get Up Close and Personal
Interviewing a celebrity is not always about discussing their professional laurels. Sometimes, it is good to get up close and personal with them and discuss things beyond their professional life. So, why not ask about the personal lives of your favorite celebrities to know them a little better? You can bring the following questions to the table.
- Would you like to share your childhood memories with the fans?
- Who are you dating currently?
- Who is your best friend in and outside the industry?
- When do you plan to get married?
Have Some Fun with Some Trivia
Sitting on the couch with a celebrity and not asking them about several trivial things doesn’t complete your interview! While some people do not like to watch such trivial details, others enjoy it. Be a party to entertaining the latter section of the audience and ask these trivial questions when you interview a celebrity the next time.
- What has been the most embarrassing moment of your life?
- What would you do if you were stranded on a desert island?
- What did you aspire to become if not a celebrity?
- What is the craziest thing that you have ever done?
- What is your pet peeve?
Time for Some Deep Conversations
Asking trivial details about the celebrities creates a light and friendly atmosphere while interviewing them. However, if you want to go a step further and talk about something more relevant, there are a few questions you must include in the interview. Sometimes, deep and meaningful conversations with celebrities create an interview to remember.
- How has your journey as a celebrity been so far?
- Who do you look up to as a role model in the industry?
- What is the one thing you regret doing in your professional life?
- What is your biggest fear?
- What is your biggest accomplishment?
- Where do you like to see yourself ten years from now?
- Are you happy with your professional growth, or do you want to make changes in the pattern?
- Are you monetarily satisfied with your profession?
- Do you want to make any changes in the industry?
- Have you ever been told to change something about yourself?
The Favorites Spree
Fans often look forward to knowing the likes and dislikes of their favorite celebrities. Thus, why not dedicate a part of your interview to discussing the favorites of the celebs? Here are the questions to include. This favorite spree will get everyone hooked on your interview, we promise.
- What is your favorite movie?
- What is your favorite color?
- Who is your favorite actor/actress?
- What is your favorite holiday destination?
- What is your favorite cuisine?
- What is your favorite song?
- What are your favorite sports?
- What is your favorite outfit?
- What is your favorite brand?
A Message for the Audience
Interviewing any celebrity is not about asking questions alone. It is also about the thoughts, expressions, or any message the star would want to share with their fans. Thus, the next time you interview them, ask if they have a message to share with the audience.
Celebrities would surely want to connect with their fans on a personal level and convey their message at large.
Other Tips while Preparing to Interview a Celebrity
- When you ask a celebrity any personal question, always maintain a thin line. Remember, your interview has to be decent and not controversial.
- Speaking about controversy, avoid any disputable or contentious question.
- It is good to be friendly with the celebrities while interviewing them. However, being over-friendly is a big no. Use formal language and avoid getting overboard.
- Whether you are interviewing a celebrity offline or online (video call), ensure to be well-dressed. You must look confident and immaculate, no matter what.
- Make more open-ended questions. If there is a difference of opinion, do not entertain it for long.
- Ask what you do not know to make the interview more interesting.
- When you interview a celebrity, you not only represent yourself but the entire audience too. Thus, always ask questions from the point of view of the viewers and readers.
We hope the above-listed tips help you prepare well for the big day of your professional life. All the best. Keep in touch for more.